PURPOSE: The Staff Attorney will be responsible for providing civil legal assistance to sexual violence survivors in the Tampa Bay area. This staff person will work with certified rape crisis centers and system-based agencies to uphold the rights of sexual assault survivors within the community. This position will be located within the Crisis Center of Tampa Bay.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Director of Advocacy
STATUS: Full time, exempt
LOCATION: Tampa, Florida
We envision a world free of sexual violence in which men and women together assure that all human beings are treated with dignity and respect for their physical, emotional, intellectual & spiritual integrity.
Sexual Violence shatters lives, wounds communities and perpetuates injustice. The Florida Council Against Sexual Violence leads, informs and inspires the people of Florida to create safe and just communities.
REQUIREMENTS AT ENTRY:
- Juris Doctorate; active member in good standing with the Florida Bar.
- Experience practicing law in Florida.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to issues impacting victims of sexual violence.
- Demonstrated experience working with victims of violence.
- Ability and willingness to work with people of different nationalities, gender, education and experience.
- Commitment to providing trauma-informed and professional services to victims and survivors who have experienced or are experiencing the effects of trauma.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate professionally with individuals of varying backgrounds and educational levels.
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities in a fast-paced setting.
- Strong attention to organization, detail and accuracy.
- Flexibility and ability to work independently.
- Fluency in Spanish not required but highly preferred.
- Ability to travel. Must have own means of transportation. Some overnight travel may be included with this position.
- Coordinate all aspects of case management up to and including trial.
- Provide competent and zealous advocacy to victims of sexual violence.
- Assist in development of and responsible for implementation of outreach program in the Tampa Bay Area.
- Participate in regular conference calls with project partners to strategize cases and outreach.
- Complete and submit monthly, quarterly and annual performance reports as directed by the Director of Advocacy.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and in-service trainings and perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Advocacy
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. This job requires the ability to travel to and from different locations within the State of Florida.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To apply: Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (2-3 pages), preferably a court pleading, via email to FCASV Director of Advocacy Theresa L. Prichard (email@example.com). Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis; position will be open until filled. No phone calls, please.
FCASV is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind. FCASV is committed to the practice of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at FCASV are based on agency needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national, social, or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, familial status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and/or expression.